Thursday, July 17, 2008

Almost There

I have one more day before I start on my vacation.  That day is today.  A stretch of hours and then I will move, blissfully, into those sweet and desireable days of vacation. It has been a long time since I have taken a full two weeks vacation for myself - to do the things I want to do, in the way I want to do them, in the patterns and places I enjoy.

I woke up this morning and just laid there for a while, looking out the open window at the growing light of dawn, watching the lush green tree just outside my bedroom become more and more vivid.  It has, I think, a thousand shades of green.

I have a handful of tasks ahead of me at work, some documentation to take care of, some final reports to pull, so strategic and tactical directions to write up to insure a smooth transition while I am out. 

One of the rare things about this vacation, for me, is that I am not rushing up against a project deadline.  The last two personal vacations I took both involved the necessity (or at least the perceived necessity) to do some work while on vacation.  This time however, I am going to take a deep breath, I am going to close the work computer at the end of the day, and I am going to slip into vacation without having to carry some major worry beads.

I am taking today slow and even. Like a prize fighter in the later rounds of a bout.  Don't make any mistakes, stay constant, and trust you have enough points to win.  If you're lucky, maybe your opponent will be tired and make a mistake.

This will be the first vacation I have ever taken while journaling so, oddly enough, I will be looking forward to that as part of the experience, looking forward to sharing the vacation here.  Well, time to begin the journey to the office.  Whoever you are reading this, wherever you are - wish me luck on the last day before my vacation starts!

No comments: