Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Just Morning

I woke early this morning, about 3:30 AM Pacific Time. I had slept about six hours, maybe a little less. I don't recall anything specific that woke me up.  I just woke up, clear and alert.  I lingered in bed for a while, just laying there thinking, watching my old friends, the shadows on the bedroom ceiling.

When I was a child, we lived on Jackson Boulevard in Rapid City, SD.  My bedroom faced the street and one of my earlier memories is laying awake watching the shadows cast by the headlights of passing cars slide across the walls and ceilings.  So, laying awake watching the play of shadows on the ceiling is an old tradition of mine. I had seen a lot of things there and thought many a thought.

I rolled out of bed and opened the apartment all the way up, windows and doors, and fired up "The Big Fan" to clear out the lingering heat from yesterday.  Before I leave this morning, I will shut everything back up and pull the blinds.  That will keep the temp in the apartment at a reasonable level until the afternoon sun slides on the patio windows.

I don't really have any formed thoughts this morning. I am just sitting here, watching the sky turn gray with the light of dawn, drinking a can of diet coke, contemplating the day that is going to unfold in front of me.  So, nothing profound, nothing spectacular, nothing amazing today.  Just morning. I like the sound of that today.  Just morning.

No comments: