Monday, July 21, 2008

Day Three And Four Of Vacation

If I had to characterize both days I would characterize them as - low and slow.

Sunday I slept in, then rolled out to meet some friends at the Cup and Saucer in south San Jose. From there we went to one of the farmer's markets and the drifted down to Morgan Hill to run an errand and stop at Starbucks.  We didn't actually go down there to stop at Starbucks, but the Starbucks was right there. I had a large coffee and a slice of banana bread. I happen to love banana bread, but I have an allergy to walnuts of all things.  If I eat walnuts they burn the inside of my mouth and my tongue so I stay clear of them.  When it comes to banana bread it means I sit there and pick the walnuts out.

After we drifted back to San Jose, I stopped at John D. Morgan park and took a leisurely walk around the park, sat in the shade of tall trees and just...was.  Very nice.  I ran a couple of small errands, picking up incidental things for the trip portion of my vacation, and then circled home for a splash through the pool.  Some friends came over and we watched "Letters From Iwo Jima" on HD and then visited into the night. I stayed up late reading and got a full nights sleep.

Today, Monday, actually felt like the first day of vacation, since it was the first day when I should have been at work, but wasn't.  I slept in until about eight o'clock, very late for me, and woke up and read the morning away, alternating with watching the History Channel and chatting online. About noon, I went out and got sushi for lunch, and ran a few more errands.  Dinner tonight was a trip to Frankie, Johnnie, and Luigi's where I had the chicken parmigan and followed up with a brownie sundae.  Tonight's plan is a load of laundry and packing for the trip - neither of which is urgent, so both of which will be done at their own speed.

The flight leaves at 10:00 AM tomorrow and we should be down in San Diego by noon.  I am going down with Tony, who has been my friend for over twenty years now (through multiple divorces).  We are staying at the Hotel Lafayette, which brags a swimming pool designed by Johnny Weismuller. The organizing principle of the vacation (the excuse) is the San Diego Comic Con.  We go down a couple of days early, spend the weekend at Comic Con, and then come back a couple of days after.  I am definitely looking forward to the change of scenery and engaging in my favorite vacation time activity - lounging around a nice hotel.

I've always found it curious what various people consider to be a good vacation. To me, over the years, I have come to the conclusion that for me the best vacations are those that are truly relaxing.  I know some people feel the need for a high active vacation where they go out and do the stuff that they normally do not do in the course of the life. I think we should try to consistently and constantly do the things we enjoy through the course of our ordinary days - not save them up for vacation.  If there is something that you enjoy doing try structuring your life so that you do them - constantly.

I think it is very easy to make a vacation way too stressful - to put too much weight on the vacation. I think that it is a trap and I try to avoid it whenever I can.  That is my theory of vacation and it may not be shared, but it is what it is. I am sure my opinions will change over time - and make no mistake about it, the vacation will be very active - just not the driven sort of activity in the sense of "damn it I must enjoy this".  More in the sense of "these are the things that I enjoy doing and I am going to do them now".

I often take my laptop on vacation - and constantly am asked why. For me, computers are such a part of my life I almost can't imagine not having one handy. Whether it is for photo editing or journaling or writing or just playing.  If you enjoy it - do it.


Tags:

No comments: