Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Mornings Worth

Eventually each day draws to a close.  Sometimes they end well. Sometimes they do not. I often think that at the end of every day that ends well we should spend a moment remembering one that did not.  For every day that ends badly we should spend a little time remembering those that ended well. Perhaps if we take this approach, we will not be swayed so much by the ending of a day. They all end.  Then they begin anew and life is best lived in the beginning of each day.


Maybe that is why I like mornings so much.  It is the beginning of the day.  It is full of all the potential and possibility it can possibly contain. From the beginning of each day I can make those choices that shape the day. Sometimes, like everyone, I do not make the best choices.

 Sometimes though, I make some pretty good ones.  All in all I am sure it balances out and life is what life is.  Everything is tucked inside the life that is.  The closer we stay to that core then the closer we are to our core.

I would be very happy to live in an eternal morning.  To live inside of an eternity of the potential, of the possible, to live inside of it and never leave it. It is not possible of course.  As we go through our lives we must, of necessity I think, pass through all parts of a day.  We must begin in the morning, we must pass through the mid-day, we must move across the evening, and we must slip into the night.  Every second of every day brings us closer to the next morning though.

I am fascinated lately by time zones.  Even just the simple four time zones that cross the United States fascinate me. I glance at the clock and I automatically think of each time zone, of the people I know who live in each one. Because I am on the west coast, in the Pacific zone, I live life anywhere from an hour to three hours behind everyone. While I am basking in the golden light of dawn, others are moving steadfastly further into the day.  When evening falls and I am wandering with my beloved Twilight Gods, others are already curled in bed, perhaps even deep in the embrace of sleep.

So, for everyone who lives east of me, I appreciate the gift of morning.  Speed it on its way as it passes you. Enjoy it, savor it, linger inside of it and then send it onward. Perhaps a bit of your joy will ride with it. Perhaps I can catch a tiny portion of your sense of wonder, even if it is only a momentspause to admire the breaking of the day.


Tags: ,

No comments: