Thursday, July 31, 2008

The Long Way Down

It was a simple day today, simple and enjoyable.  I was up late last night, just idling away the hours in conversation and reading.  I spent the morning listening to music and relaxing.  Lunch was at a diner at the Stanford Shopping Center in Palo Alto.  I had driven up there with my nephew with the intention of getting a very specific sandwich they make there – a Spicy Jose (a sloppy Joe with diced peppers). Unfortunately they no longer make that sandwich. But, the Patty Melt I had as a substitute was excellent.

After lunch, we swung down to Fry’s Electronics and picked up the “Spaced” DVD collection.  If you haven’t seen Spaced, check it out.  It is a BBC Comedy staring Simon Pegg (of Shawn of the Dead, Hot Fuzz and Run Fat Boy Run fame).  It is very funny.  I also picked up “Waitress” with Keri Russell and Nathan Fillion on the recommendation of one of my chat friends.

We circled home and I took a swim and then laid down and took a very deep nap (partially making up for the short sleep last night – one of the things about being a morning person is that you tend to be a morning person, regardless of the hour that you actually go to sleep).

We then headed out and met my friend P. for dinner at the Burger Pit in South San Jose.  His wife H. was going to join us, but got hung up at work.  We finalized the plans to meet up tomorrow and head up to Lake Tahoe for the weekend and then drove home.

Then…things went…in a different direction, as they often can.  We had planned to go up to Lake Tahoe early Friday and return on Sunday.  But…I had a set of other obligations arise that will take place on Friday and Saturday, so I was faced with a choice.  I could probably have done both – the Tahoe trip and the other obligations, however…

The purpose of vacation is to relax.  I definitely am deeply in relaxation mode and I don’t want to risk losing that any earlier then necessary.  Meeting both sets of obligations would have been…multi-tasking.  I want to avoid that as much as possible for the next couple of days.

So, I called P. and H. and expressed my regrets. (They are going up to Lake Tahoe for ten days.)  They understood and, if the calendar falls into place, next weekend I will multi-task and drive up there for the weekend.  I’ve been to Tahoe many times and I am sure I will be there many times in the years to come, so it is not like I am missing a once in a life time trip.

Though I turned around the idea of the trip, like a lot of things, I could tell I had made the right decision almost immediately upon making it.  Now, I can slide through the next three days and then go back to work deeply rested on Monday – without the stress of making the trip back to Tahoe and getting things squared back away to the shift into the working schedule.  I am taking the ease in approach instead of the leap back in approach, and it feels like the right decision.

Tonight, I am just sitting here, listening to the hum of the fan and watching Part 1 of “The Long Way Down”. A ten part Fox Reality Channel series about Ewan McGregor (the actor) and Charley Boorman (the son of the director John Boorman) who rode their motorcycles from Scotland through Africa to Cape Town, a 15,000 mile 85 day journey.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/longwaydown/

or

http://www.longwaydown.com/

The series is a follow on to their earlier documentary – “The Long Way Around” – where they rode from Scotland to New York (through Europe, Russia and Mongolia and then across America).

http://www.longwayround.com/lwr.php

I really enjoyed the first series and I am definitely looking forward to this one.

No comments: