Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Happy Half Year

Happy Half Year

I was pulling into the parking lot at work today and it dawned on me the 2008 was halfway over.  Six months gone, six months to go.  I took a deep breath and sat there in the parking lot, watching jets coming up out of San Jose International and vanishing into the belly of the bluish gray clouds that hung overhead.  I usually wonder where they are going and where the people in them are going and who, if anyone, is looking down at me.  We are close enough to the airport that if the flight path is right, you could probably look down and see my car in the parking lot, if you knew exactly where to look.  There is something cool about that.

With the particulars of the journey I made through the first half of this year, I decided to use my newly invented Happy Half Year holiday to try and refocus.  What is behind me is now behind me, what is in front of me is still in front of me.  Through choice and action I can shape some of what is to come.  What is behind is behind.

So, at work, I tried to focus on what was. 

"Empty that which is full.  Fill that which is empty."

I spent some time talking in depth with one of my analysts.

I exercised patience in dealing with a situation that was vexing me.

I tempered my language and my demeanor in a critical conversation.

I enjoyed a short lunch with my friend Don.

I enjoyed the drive home, listening to the Corrs.

I received an email from a dear friend of mine and it was good to hear their voice in words. I savored it.

I had dinner with my nephew and enjoyed it.

I spent some time in IM with another dear friend and enjoyed it.

I chatted briefly online and enjoyed it.

I received an email from my sister and enjoyed it.

I stood on the balcony and watched the falling sun on a cool California evening.

Soon, I will curl up and read a good book.

Then, hopefully, I will sleep deeply and dream wisely.

So, for all of you my friends, Happy Half Year, I hope the first half was good for you and I hope the second half contains at least one spectacular thing that will make you remember 2008 with a smile on your lips in the years to come.

No comments: