Monday, January 12, 2009

Communication Dreams

I woke this morning from a dream about miscommunication. In the dream I had sent an email to a list of people. The purpose of the email was to call out my top ten watercolor paintings from the show I went to at the Triton Museum of Art over the weekend. The show that I had particularly gone to see was the 2008 Statewide Watercolor Competition exhibition.

http://www.tritonmuseum.org

If you click on the exhibitions page you can see the description of the exhibition, which was very impressive (especially since I have minimal painting talent and I know that watercolor can be a challenging medium to work in).

In the dream I had called out my top ten paintings from the exhibition. I had cc'ed multiple people with the list and got a somewhat irate response from one person, demanding to know why I had sent them a list of paintings I didn't like and what was I implying about their painting. I was puzzled in the dream so I looked at the email and saw that in the subject line I had written something like "Top Ten Reasons I Don't Like Watercolors" - when I meant to type "I Like".

Outside of the dream I have no idea if the person who responded to the dream email even paints - I don't recall them ever mentioning it. I woke from the dream with that sense of how easy it is to get our communications tangled with people.

But, outside of the dream I had an enjoyable Sunday evening. I had a very nice phone call with a friend and then spent the rest of the evening watching the Golden Globes. I have already written about Slumdog Millionaire a couple of times, so I was glad to see it win - well deserved for a spectacular film. After the awards show was over I curled up in bed and read a bit (Michael Crichton's "Next") and then drifted off to sleep.

After waking from the dream I sort of stumbled and bumped my way through the morning - banged into a couple of things, couldn't find a couple of things, got frustrated by a couple of things and then made it out the door. Fortunately the commute into the office was smooth. My calendar is relatively light today, so I am anticipating a nice Monday at work.

No comments: