Friday, January 9, 2009

Today's Train Of Thought

I woke this morning with a train of thought running through my head. The train was something like this...

When we are young our parents try to teach us the wisdom they have learned over the years.
When we are adults we try and pull what wisdom we can from the things we experience, often not understanding the how's and the why's of it all.

When we become old, we find that the wisdom we had rejected in our youth and sought in our middle years has settled upon us, and it is often neither what we were taught nor what we sought.

I think that is the natural course of things. I am not really sure why it was on my mind when I woke up this morning. I don't recall coming out of a dream or anything - it was just a train of thought that was running through my brain.

I drove into work this morning in a very heavy fog. I like the fog (even though it slows traffic to a standstill). I like the otherworldiness of it. Today the sun burned the fog away in the blink of eye and we have been gifted with a cool, but bright, California day.

The weather forecast for the weekend is more sun and more blue sky and I am definitely looking forward to it - I will want to get out there and do some basking. Maybe find a big rock somewhere and lay on it like a giant lizard. I always threaten to do that at the office - find a bare patch of concrete and sprawl out and just lay there in the sun, but I usually manage to restrain myself.

I am looking forward to the weekend, though I don't have anything specific planned, I am sure I will be out enjoying that sun somewhere. Next weekend I have a four day weekend (my normal 9/80 day off and the holiday). I am looking forward to that as well.

The speed at which times passes is always kind of astounding to me. Tomorrow we will already be ten days into the new year. Somewhere on Sunday 1/100th of the 2009 will already be gone. As a guy obsessed with counting things - that is pretty cool.

I am going to chalk today up to one of those ordinary days that I love so much. Hope your day is ordinary as well, whoever you are, where ever you are.

No comments: