Monday, June 24, 2013

Coffee Thoughts

I thought I would take a different approach to the morning here today.  One of the things I am aware of, and quite possibly one of the things that has been influencing the "mood" that I've spoken of several times, is that currently I feel like I am stuck pretty deep in the groove of habit. I think I need to break out of that. Habit carries a certain weight and that weight can influence the flow of the day. Along with that, I think there is a certain dissatisfaction with the slate of habits that I have in front of me and I need to get those habits shuffled around.

One of the largest habits that most of us have is work - the ritual and routine of going into work, the tasks that we do while we are at work, the flow of the day.  In my working world, I think that groove is carved a little deeper then some, in part do to our practice of standing meetings. There are two or three meetings that I run into every single day, every day of the week. That limits the flexibility that I have as I go through the day, as they are anchor points that the rest of the day has to flow around.

So, starting today, I am going to see if I can just make some small changes in trajectory as I go through the day - in part to see if I can land someplace different at the end of the day.  Not just someplace physically different, but some place psychologically different as well. 

The biggest challenge though is going to be altering my working world enough to make a difference. The weight of work is pretty heavy.  Sometimes I wonder if it is too heavy. (However, I then usually just look at my paycheck, compare it to people around me and go - uh, no, it is not.)  Actually at work, I wonder sometimes what it is that makes the day so difficult for me sometimes.  I generally have it easy in this world and I need to remember that more.  Which isn't to say my work is perfect - there are times when I work for idiots in a highly chaotic environment. There are also times when I am one of the idiots.

Well, whoever you are and wherever you are, I wish you a pleasant day.  And remember - "May all beings know happiness and be free from suffering."  I suddenly flashed on Jimmy Durante - "Good morning Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!"

No comments: