Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Sing To Me

“Sing to me of the man, Muse, the man of twists and turns driven time and again off course, one he had plundered the hallowed heights of Troy.” Homer, The Odyssey (Robert Fagles translation, 1996)

I slept close to eleven hours last night.  I got home at about the ordinary time, had a simple enough dinner, watched the most recent episode of Defiance off the DVR and then decided to take a thirty minute nap.  It was a beautiful cool evening, so I curled into bed, listened to the street noises and drifted off.  When my timer woke me up, I reset it for another thirty minutes because it was so cozy sleeping.  Then, when it went off the second time, I…turned it off and went back to sleep.  It was about six p.m. and I slept straight through until about 2:00 a.m., where I woke briefly and then drifted back to sleep, finally waking up about five a.m..  It was very nice.
Today, my work is mostly meetings - a solid block of meetings from 7:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m, for a total of six hours.  I’ve already got two meetings knocked off and I am in the third now.  The third is an informational presentation - in this third meeting, I helped to prepare the meeting materials, so I am just on the call as a question and answer resource.  I have some things that I hope to accomplish in the afternoon, but I am also planning on heading home fairly early today, since I started at 6:00 a.m.
Right now, I am going to head over to the conference room and spend the next half hour listening to the meeting and walking in small circles.  In thirty minutes, I will be able to get in about a mile or so, in small concentric circles. Move, move. Move.
I saw the quote from the Odyssey while I was at San Jose Museum of Art over the weekend and it was stuck in my head, so I thought I would share it here, since the process of sharing information can often release it.

No comments: