Friday, August 16, 2013

A Quick Surface Personal Summary

I thought I would take a little bit of time today, while I am decompressing between meetings, and write about the overall sweep of my personal life, since work has been consuming a lot of the entries here.  My personal life is going well.  Recently I’ve been describing it as the still-point in the middle of a swirling mass.  The swirling mass is all the stuff that goes on around me, the assorted levels of drama consuming my friends and family. Sometimes I think I spent too much time worrying about them, worrying about things I really can’t do anything about.

But in terms of what is going on with me, I am doing fine.  My health is good, my outlook is good, my home life is good, my relationship with TR is good, and my work, though it is stressing me out lately, is essentially still good.  I realize that, in the work sphere, “this too will pass”, maybe sooner rather than later.  Fact is, I am kind of just generally enjoying my personal life right now.  I just try and keep my work life from crashing into it.

I finished reading Scott Lynch’s “Red Seas under Red Skies” (I recommend it and the other book in the series).  I’ve started reading Dean Koontz’s “Deeply Odd” which has been enjoyable.  I’ve also been bouncing back and forth in reading “Inspiration from Enlightened Nuns”, a Buddhist tract, and an assortment of poetry and short story collections.  I always wish I had a little more time to read.  A little more, then a little more, then a little bit more.  Even that would probably not be enough.

I’ve seen a lot of movies so far this summer, but, unfortunately, I have to say I simply haven’t been really impressed.  There have been some enjoyable ones, but so far, nothing that truly rocked my world. As a matter of fact, movie wise, I have been kind of frustrated with the Hollywood fare so far this summer - lots of flash, little substance.  Even Woody Allen’s “Blue Jasmine”, which had the amazing Cate Blanchett, does really stand up to any skeptical scrutiny and seemed a little too much like a Woody Allen movie stereotype.

I’ve been meditating regularly, but probably not often enough and - at least today - my apartment seemed a little cluttered.  As I walked through the kitchen I thought that my next step toward simplification is going to end up having to be pretty radical.  Part of me says I am ready for that step, but another part of me says that I am not. In terms of that portion of my inner life I think I need to focus on my directed, more purposeful, more intentional activities. I am aware that, even when I am in such a busy and hectic and chaotic cycle I am frittering away a lot of time in purposeless activity.  At work it is driven by too many competing pressures and a lack of informal motivators. At home it is not driven by anything, it is just a choice that I do not seem to be able to make.

Well, that pretty much sums up my personal life right now.  It’s a good thing, I am enjoying it, and if anything I need to do more of the things that bring me joy and happiness.  As the mantra on my wall here at the office says:

“May all beings enjoy happiness and be free from suffering.”

 

 

No comments: