Monday, August 5, 2013

So Much Reading, So Little Time

Most of the day was spent with my nose buried in an excel spreadsheet.  One of my co-workers is out on maternity leave for the next couple of months and I've picked up the daily administration of one of her programs. Unfortunately, stuck right in the middle of this program is a manual review process that is done by reading and manipulating a sizeable spreadsheet.  The process is ridiculously long - a total of 17 steps with minimal payback from each step.  If I had the ability to redesign the process I would have designed it entirely different - of course, we can lay this little bit of insanity at the hands of our idiot director as well.  Another example of micromanaging run amok.

So, other than that, I had two good conversation with TR today, on a wandering array of subjects. Then, I watched an episode of Ray Donovan. I followed that up by trying to call the ranch, but no answer.  They are running up to Rapid City for a doctors appointment this week and they may already be on the road.  I will give them a try again tomorrow.  I did send an email off to my nephew asking him to check the phone if he was still at home at the ranch. With that done, I tried to call my sister and landed in her voice-mail.  I swear to God my family is the most antisocial bunch in the world. I joke that I always picture them on the porch with a shotgun and a bottle of moonshine, waiting for strangers to wander by so they can pepper them with rock salt!

Then, I finally finished my Scott Lynch book, Red Seas under Red Skies, in the Gentleman Bastards Sequence.  It was an enjoyable ride.  He has a third book in the sequence coming out in October, so I will look forward to reading that.  Meanwhile, I am getting ready to start the next book. My plan is to hit Amazon real quick tonight for the latest Orson Scott Card and the latest Dean Koontz, both of which are high on my list of favored authors.  Though, now that I think about it, I actually have a pair of Neil Gaiman books in the queue as well.  Not to mention all the other non-fiction that I love reading.  So much reading, so little time.

No comments: