Sunday, June 1, 2008

Deirdre of Sorrows

Deirdre of Sorrows

When I am under a lot of stress one of the methods I try to work with it is focus on the purity of a specific time or event - find a magic hour to lose myself in.  This weekend was a challenge - I was crashing up and down with stress on Saturday, as I journaled about earlier. 

Today was much better and it was in today that I found the magic hour that transformed the weekend and settled my soul.  As often happens, I found it in music.  While I was looking through my CD rack I found three CD's that I had bought at a clearance sale a few months ago. 

It is not unusual for me to take advantage of deep discounts to try music I would otherwise not pick up.  The CD's were celtic themed classical collections.  In my experiences with the specific genre I've had some good finds and some...not so good finds.

I have always been partial to the story of Deirdre of Sorrows, so I am sure that was what influenced me when I picked this up.  If you are unfamiliar with it, here is a wiki link to a summary of the tale (and from there, you can link to other versions of it).  Deirdre is a tragic heroine from Irish myth (the Ulster Cycle).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deirdre

The album, a classical composition by Patrick Cassidy is very good.  It was perfect for the weekend.  Listening to it was my magic hour.

 

No comments: