Saturday, July 21, 2012

A Sense of Fairness

Today was a meditative day and with it came a realization.  I set out this morning to wander - my intention was to just wander, do what occurred to me, as it occurred to me and give my brain time to find it's own way around the work challenges I have been experiencing.

The day itself flowed smoothly - coffee and birdsong at dawn (thinking of T.R.), breakfast with the guys at the Hickory Pit, then helping my friend Don dispose of his e-waste.  From there, I connected with Tony and drove him around for a while as he looked for an apartment (not a lot of luck there). A market stop for fresh fruit and salad materials, then off to see "Beast of the Southern Wild" and have dinner at Outback with Don.

Side-track, "Beasts of the Southern Wild" is an excellent movie - I highly recommend it if you are into art films.



Then, home for the evening where I am watching "Wild West's Most Wanted" which is amusing.

During the course of the day I came to the realization of what it is at work that gets under my skin about the current big project I am working on.  It offends my sense of fairness (proportional justice). In this particular project, because of the chaos associated with it, people are being routinely asked to go above and beyond - in terms of tasks, in terms of total hours, etc.  Yet, it is my perception that it is entirely a one way street - people are being asked to go above and beyond, but management is not responding by rewarding them above and beyond.

That definitely offends my sense of fairness. Now, the question is, what do I do about it from here.  Often though, knowing what lays at the heart of something is what allows us to work our way through it.  I hope this realization helps me.

No comments: