Friday, July 27, 2012

Work Stole My Blog

I have noticed that I've been writing semi-obsessively about work. Mostly it has to do with the work cycle I am in and since work is often on my mind it becomes the easy thing to write about. I thought I would take a few paragraphs and write about something other than work.

June and July have flown by, so I really haven't had any chance to enjoy a leisurely summer. My plan is, through the month of August, I am going to try and slow it down a bit, try to enjoy a bit more summer lingering. A few more park walks, a few more evenings on the patio, a spot of incidental travel, some time in the swimming pool. All the basics of summer.

I've been reading a lot this year, which has been enjoyable. Right now I am deep in "The January Dancer" which has been an intermittent and rather rambling novel. I am close enough to the end to finish it up in a few days, or maybe a long day of just reading. I hope that it ends strong, but I suspect there is about a 50/50 chance of that.

I haven't done a lot of creative writing for the last couple of months. I'm not blocked or anything, mostly I am just short of time. I am feeling the need to retask and refocus there. I'm looking forward to it. I'm looking forward to it. I've always enjoyed writing, even when I am just writing for myself. I have had periodic bursts of creativity, but its mostly just been an outpouring and not really anything defined.

My health is well, and as usual, I keep flirting with the idea that I seem to continually flirt with, which is joining a gym and putting some structure and additional discipline around my overall health related activities. But, flirt with that idea is pretty much all I do. I have managed to come up with some pretty creative excuses to avoid this one and I move through the day with an awareness that this is one of those things that I really simply need to do.

I have written about the assorted flavors of family drama lately, but in the end it has all been good - everyone has their health and is moving briskly (if dramatically) through their lives. Finding happiness is always up to the individual. The best role we have there is as a cheerleader.

T.R. and her kitten posse are off on the island for another couple weeks, and I find myself deep in the grips of island envy.

Well, that is just the tip of the iceberg as far as my personal life is concerned, but it's my iceberg and it's a nice iceberg.

(This was actually written Thursday, but due to technical difficulties, never posted until today.)

No comments: