Monday, October 29, 2012

Monday In A Mood

Well, I have started Monday in a mood.  I don’t know if I didn’t get enough sleep last night or if I am overwhelmed by the work facing me or a combination of both. I woke up shortly after six and proceeded straight into a clunky morning. (The opposite of a smooth morning.)  First, I am tired, as if I didn’t sleep well last night.  Then, it was a morning of small irritations, from trouble putting my contact lens in to spilling coffee on myself, it was just a morning that went slightly off track and stayed there.  I tried to slow the morning down and break the patterns of the day (which is what I am trying right here as well), but that has not been particularly successful.  Because I was running a little late through the morning I ended up in heavier than normal traffic on Lawrence Expressway, in part due to the hour and in part due to a heavy fog that was slowly lifting.  I made it into the office and mood is just kind of staying with me.
One of the thing I know, when I find myself slipping into a mood like this, is I need to change my pattern, I need to change the direction of the day.  I have found that one of the best ways to do that is to try and focus down on things that can give me a sense of accomplishment. If I can string a few of those together, then I can salvage the day, otherwise the day is pretty much a waste of time. So, I find myself locked in battle with my mood.
So, to try and alter the course of the day, I am going to try and pick some low hanging fruit, harvest them, eat them, and then try and tackle some more difficult things a little later in the day. I feel in a writing mood, so I may take the opportunity to draft some longer emails, or perhaps to do some documentation based writing and reset the day by focusing on something that I enjoy.

No comments: