Friday, October 12, 2012

Why Is It So Dark This Morning

Two hours into the day and I just entered my time for the day, only to discover that I am currently at 50 hours.  That stacks up to four twelve hour days, then today.  No wonder I feel punch drunk and unmotivated today. I just walked down the street to get a large coffee and a muffin and as an excuse to get out and wander a bit.  It is cool and cloudy and of course, I was wearing my sunglasses.  About half way down the street I thought - “Gee, why is it so dark this morning?”.  I’m hoping the large coffee gives me some energy to move through the morning and accomplish something, otherwise it is going to be a singularly unproductive day here at work.
I did fall asleep last night within about five minutes of crawling into bed, with my Kindle right next to me.  I made an attempt at reading a short story, but that was all it was, ultimately, a noble attempt.  I slept soundly through the night. On waking I had the vague memory of some dream, but here, now, I don’t recall what it was.  Sitting her, trying to recall it, I ultimately have nothing.
I am looking forward to the weekend, though I don’t have anything planned and I’m sure that I am going to have to dedicate a portion of it too work.  It will probably be the usual weekend - breakfast with any of the guys who can make it, then a movie (I am leaning toward Ben Affleck’s “Argos”, but I think I could be convinced to see “Seven Psychopaths” as well. Maybe I will aim for a double-hitter on one of the days, it has been a while since I’ve done that.
I’ve also got one tiny segment of my spare bedroom/office that I would like to adjust, so I might be inclined to tackle it.  I’m not really looking forward to next week at work.  We are in the crazy stage of the project and there are just way too many moving parts that are destined to break in unexpected ways.  Perhaps the best saving grace is going to be that my direct upper management, my manager and my director, are going to be mostly out of the pocket at a conference, which always takes some of the pointless pressure off.
And, on the optimistic side, if I make some progress through today and the weekend, I might enter next week feeling stronger than I do right now, work wise. Well, we will see.  Meanwhile, it is back to sipping my coffee, eating my muffin, and trying to reach down into my soul and find some hidden well of motivation that I can tap into.  I am not sure I can pull it off today, but I am going to give it a try.

No comments: