Thursday, March 27, 2014

Another Ordinary Day

Once again, the time gap between my posts comes as a surprise to me.  Time appears to be moving past at a very good clip.  Today started a bit strangely - there was a water main break in Sunnyvale, California and it caused the company to shut the plant down, at least for the morning, while they repair the break - so there was a flurry of pre-dawn calls waving people off from going into the office.  There is an automated system that is keeping us notified of developments and they're hoping to have the plant re-opened about 10:00 AM today.  Of course, for my, by 10:00 AM I am deep in my Thursday meeting cycle, so I am not going into the office today.

Yesterday, I tried to take the day off, but it turned into a pretty frustrating day.  If I look at it from the positive side I managed to get about a third of what I wanted to do done, so there was some goodness in the day.  Otherwise, it was frustrating.  I had a training session mid-day, from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM, but there were communications and connectivity problems at the start of the session - the vendor conducting the training uses a technology that is not allowed inside our firewall, so it took about thirty minutes for us to get set up - and by then I was behind the curve in the fast moving class, so I dropped out.  We're just going to have to reschedule it.

It hit one of my frustration points - because I am a planner, I get very frustrated when other people don't plan well and I have to deal with the consequences of them not checking the details.  It is a personal frustration point - I realize that not everyone plans like I do, so it is not a burden that I place on other people - it is something within me that I am aware of.  One of those frustration points that I have learned to work around.

So, having intended to take the whole day off, I ended up working six hours - basically the entire day.  I did manage to get some of the things I wanted to do done - I got the living room all cleaned and straightened, I got the kitchen and dining room about halfway finished, and I cleaned out the front closet.  I still have a ways to go - I want to pack some stuff up for donation and I want to pack some other stuff off for the trash.

I had dinner with Tony over at Mama Mia's and he commented that I was pensive.  I am not sure if I was pensive or mostly just tired from the day. I think tired was closer to the truth.  After a great pizza and a slice of tiramisu, I headed home and spent a quiet evening watching television, with a wonderful little conversation with TR before I called it a night. I woke up twice during the night from strange dreams that seemed kind of work related, but I suspect they were more simple processing dreams.  I am looking forward to the rest of the day, working from home.

No comments: