Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Off On The Side - Self and Success

I am sitting here in the hotel and I thought I would kill a little space of time by jotting down some thoughts I have concerning success.  You can relax, it is nothing magical, as a matter of fact it is a reinforcement of something thousands of other people have said.  Let me try and see if I can express it succinctly.

Success, however you choose to define it, is a matter of the choices you make.  You can directly influence your attainment of success by consistently making the choices that take you closer to it.  That is pretty straight forward and I think most people would agree with it.  But there is a massive stumbling block that sits right in front of many people and it is that stumbling block they can't find their way around.

I understand how to attain success in regards to any specific goal or outcome - however, I am completely stumped by a single question.  "What do I want to do."  I think a lot of people do not attain the success they want to attain because they don't have an object of focus. They are not stumped by "how to", but rather, they're stumped by "what to".  Now, I admit, that is one heck of a stumbling block.  It is more than just a stumbling block, it is the thing that prevents you from ever getting started.

For me, the answer to that question is "know yourself".  The journey to know yourself is a difficult one, full of strange challenges that arise without warning, but it is not an impossible journey.  I wouldn't even say it is a difficult journey.  It is a journey that you're on whether you want to be on it or not. So relax, take a deep breath, open your eyes and look around you.  The answer is there, you just have to see it.  Or learn to see it.

No comments: