Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Two Days to Vacation

I have two days left before my vacation starts and to say I am in a state of high anticipation is an understatement.  I've got a sizable stack of tasks ahead of me at work, things that I want to try and wrap up, try and get into a good place, for the vacation.  I will make it, I am just not sure what sort of form that is going to take.  I'll actually spend Thursday afternoon trying to put together a single control document for our team to use while I am out. 

Since I tend to be a process driven person, I wish we have a better process for handling vacations and vacation related transitions.  In large part, because of the frenetic work environment that our director sets, it is very difficult to maintain high professional standards and of course, as I have vented before, we have no process discipline.  Normally, I try not to let work intrude too deeply in my morning thoughts, but since I am in the final run to vacation, I am comfortable with it today and probably tomorrow.  As much as  I dislike it, work will probably spill over into the vacation, but I will try and keep it to a minimum.

So, life does exist outside of the work environment, so let me write about that for a few minutes - in no particular order.

I talked to the ranch last night.  (Okay, actually, I don't talk to the ranch, I talk to my parents and nephew who are living on the ranch.)  Things are going well enough there.  My parents are advanced in age (77), so they have many of the challenges that come with age, but all in all they seem to be doing as well as can be expected.  Their spirits are good and they move through the ordinary days in ordinary ways.  My nephew seems to have his medication under control and so has a some what ordinary life going on. So, all and all, I would say things are going well at the ranch.

T.R. is in NC where they've been going through 40 days and nights of rain.  She is doing well, always charming, always beautiful, always engaging. (Okay, I freely admit to a bit of bias there, LOL.)

My brother Dusty in Arizona is moving into his new house now that he is retired and is in the middle of that whole process, which he seems to be enjoying very much. That is always very cool and it is an exciting time for him and his family.  My sister Bea is moving as smoothly through the world as she can, though she has an over-sized share of drama going on right now. One of her sons in sitting in jail, waiting a preliminary hearing and charges that have the potential to send him away for a long stretch of time. Life is...life is always unexpected. My heart goes out to her, as I am sure that is a very difficult place to be in.

Tony continues to play the Game of Thrones at work and he seems to be in the process of doing a good Ned Stark imitation.  (If you are not a fan of Game of Thrones, let me simply say that - things do not end well for Ned.)

As for me, on a personal level, things are going well. I am healthy, I am centered, I am moving smoothly and learning more each day.  Oh, I have a new toy, a Kindle Fire HD, which is an awesome little device.  I have the 7 inch version, which I like for its size and portability. I've only had it for a couple of days, so I will give a full review a little later in the process.  I do think that it is a niche device, and it fits that niche very smoothly.  (I also think the iPad is a niche device.)

So, it is time to saddle up and head into the Evil Company to try and move as smoothly through the day as I can.  Since my brain in on the Game of Thrones, let me share a picture of one of the great characters in the series - The Mother of Dragons.


No comments: