Saturday, August 11, 2012

Possessing Nothing

It was quiet and gray when I woke up this morning.  I had dreamed the night before, but I don't recall the contents of the dream, only the memory that I dreamed.  Outside, the sky was fog-shrouded, with the promise of heat later in the day. I stood by the window for a while and watched the dawn unfolding on the street below, then padded barefoot into the kitchen and started the morning coffee.

The saying "possessing nothing, we are possessed by nothing" is running through my mind this morning. My sister had sent me an early morning text that commented on the lonesome feeling that comes with the dawn. I happen to like that feeling.  Dawn has long been on of my favorite times of the day and what I love about it is that sense of lonesomeness, that sense of quiet and stillness.

Then, as the day unfolds, that feeling usually slips away and we slide into the normal hurly-burly of the day, the things that have to be done, the tasks and the errands, surrounding in the clutter of noise and sight that make up modern life.  Somewhere, in between those two points, we find a balance. Possessing nothing, we are possessed by nothing.

My music choice this morning this morning is Flogging Molly's "Laura".

"I could have danced on the sun,
but my world came undone..."

No comments: