Monday, August 13, 2012

Sometimes They Are Written In Us

Tonight, I needed comfort, so I turned in a direction I often turn in - a classic movie. The choice was from my DVR - John Wayne and Sophia Loren in "Legend of the Lost".  It is one of my favorites, in large part because of the incredible beauty that is Sophia Loren as Dita.


It was a strange day.  Work was basically quiet - the larger team is still locked deep in the reschedule of the project, which buys us lesser beings some time to study and contemplate. Upper management is going to be in a three day meeting (from which I am sure nothing good will come), but it will also contribute to keeping it a quiet week.  I had a lot of operational things stacked up and so I spent most of the day working on them.  Another day and that portion of my slate should be clear.

In my personal life I have been swaying back and forth on strong but hidden currents.  Those currents finally revealed themselves as an ebb tide and I've been swept out to sea. Many years ago I was asked to not expose something on the internet, so I haven't, except in the vaguest senses.  I am a person who is very good at keeping secrets, professionally and personally. It is a blessing and a curse.  As this particular ship takes to sea I am torn by all the emotions that come with such a departure.  Loss and excitement in equal parts. Life is an incredible journey and I think that, sometimes, the best thing we can do is go along with the journey.  Let the sea take us where it will.

Out of curiosity and melancholy during the day I glanced by at this log in August 2008 (five years ago), just to see what the month was like.  I was fairly creative and articulate during that August, all those years ago.  It was an interesting journey.  In that synchronicity that moves inside the secret weave of the universe, I had this entry there.

Requiem for a Comet

Five years later, I could have written the exact same entry - today. We cannot predict where life is going to take us, but the surest predictor of future events are past events and so it often seems that life is wrapping around itself.  I think there are lessons there for us to learn that keep repeating themselves until we learn them.  Sometimes those lessons are written in people. Sometimes they are written in us.

No comments: