Tuesday, August 14, 2012

The Territory of Our Imagination

I had a very rich, vivid, and sensual dream last night, striking in imagery, scent, color and texture. It's rare that I dream so vividly across all the senses. Most dreams seem to highlight one or two senses. I often wonder about dreams. I wonder what triggers them, what informs them, what gives them shape and substance?

The territory of our imagination is a pretty amazing place. In our imagination we have the ability to create entire worlds that are as real as anything we experience. Indeed, from this imaginary worlds we can draw real life lessons, just as we would draw from real experiences. It calls into question the very nature of the real and the unreal.

The territory of our imagination is running through my thoughts today, as August spins it way through the purple membrane that I find myself in. This has been a very unexpected year in a lot of ways and I am, at times, still trying to make sense of it. However it seems to be pointing me further along the road of simplicity and minimalism.

I feel that, if I can clear away all the clutter that blinds my senses, I can find a place of greater purity and clarity. It's a very existential place to be. Part of me rebels against it, part of me pulls back from it. I often ask myself if there is something there that I am afraid of, but if there is, I can't seem to see it, can't define it. If I had to describe it, I would say it's more like I am in a maze, and I've got to work my way through it by a process of stop and start, back and forth. My approach is one more of curiosity than concern.
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

No comments: